September 6, 2007

In School Mode :)

Well we are finally in full school mode... or sort off :).

Caleb and Timothy are Very excited about school and it is hard to get them to take a break even when they obviously need it. ( I will enjoy THAT while it lasts :) )...

David is doing unofficial preschool-- a bunch of work sheets to keep him busy while the others do their school. Right now we are working on his numbers. So far we are on the # 2.. and he can sort of write it. Also I have given him some cut and paste pages... put the shoe on the left foot or the mitt on the right foot. And guess what!!! he got it right the first time even looking at the picture so it wasn't his right. I actually told him he was wrong the first time and then realized HE was the one that was right and i was wrong. We wondered if it was just a good guess but.... he got every question we asked him right !!! So one never knows what a kid has hidden behind his 3 year old silliness. :)

Lily.. well she does drawing, then is in the play room up stairs with Linia with the baby gate. Then after a while we all go out side for 1/2 hour so she is out with us. I often do Timmy's alphabet out side or something of that type.

I still have to figure out how to get the laundry done ( well I get it washed but getting it folded is always a problem anyway so that hasn't changed much :) )
and then of course there is the dish situation.. this calls for a trip to walmart for a new lot of disposable items I think.!!!

any way all in all it is going well so far. the key is FLEXIBILITY!!!!
I still have to incourporte Math into the First Grade stuff but that will be in a week or two maybe. We are doing some informal math for now just with basic numbers , addition, subtration and will be doing place value.

Many have said that they would never have the patience for homeschooling. I honestly think that any mom as long as she has a heart for her child and the controll of her children ( not affraid to discipline and trian) is capable of home schooling. I don't have a lot of patience. I had a hard time dealing with patience with the kids before school started.. and I am sure there will be lots of days when the patience will be tried over and over agian . BUT..... that is no different from the day to day life is it ?? just another avenue for the LORD to train me right :)

So for all the mom's out there who say they would love to home school but don't have the patience... ask any home school mom and she will tell you she doesn't either... it is the daily drawing of Grace from the Lord ... just like any other mothering task. ( I know Des. would agree with me on this one for sure.. thanks for all you encouragement through your blog posts. Even though I don't often read your whole post what I glean from it is very encourageing.)


OK now that I have writen this I am gong to have to frame it to read when I am more than TWO days into the home school thing... as a reminder that I CAN'T DO IT... IT IS ONLY CHRIST IN ME THAT CAN DO IT"

Well hope all of you have a wonderful rest of the week and weekend. I will post pics some day when my computer isn't so slow. Also I wil most likly not be posting very often ( not like I did before but any way). I will try to keep to the once a month goal.

PS.. I didn't spell check the last half of this so take it as it is and please don't sent me a list of spelling errors :) Thanks ( that is Matt's job .. just kidding. He is my spell checker a lot of the time though :) )

also if you know any body taht is wanting on here but hasn't been invited let me know. I just don't want weird people reading up on my kids ( well weird people that I don't know that is :)

6 comments:

Pat VE said...

Sarah,
It is good to see how your week is going. Hope you've had some sleep since Tues. night. You know, I am more than willing to pick up/deliver laundry or do dishes. Don't want to be in your way, but I'm available. Love you and pray for you. Mom
P.S. I can't correct spelling errors because the computer doesn't have a red pen. Besides, I would have to correct my own. :)

David and Amy Campsall said...

It's nice to have a little peek into your life Sarah! I was just thinking last night of some of our times back in our apartment in college days.. It's sure been a long time since we've seen one another BUT.. it's neat to see how God has led us and even given us some similar values.. I don't have school age kids yet but i would like to homeschool.. this post is encouraging to me that even with a handful of little ones it can be done and effectively. I pray that your year goes well. So many people have their opinions of why you shouldn't have many children or homeschool and sometimes it can get a little discouraging but I think you've said it well when you said we need to daily draw grace and even strength from the Lord to overcome our human weaknesses. Thanks Sarah for keeping in touch with me! Hopefully it won't be many more years until we "meet" again!!! God Bless you my friend.
Love Amy

Jean said...

Thank you for the invite, Sarah. It is good to read about the goings on of your family and the home schooling activities.

Ruth, a teacher no less, just informed me that it is OK to have errors of English grammar and spelling on FB so I guess spelling mistakes on the blog are passable. I am a terrible speller so use the spell check a lot but I can't find out how to use it on things like the comment part.

We have a beautiful picture of Lily but it is the old print style so I'll have to make a copy for you and send it in the snail mail.

Lots of love to all,
A. jean

Dennis and Valerie said...

wow, Sarah- Sounds like you are very busy with your little crew. I'm glad that the kids are doing well with school. I think sometimes that having more of a scheduled day is easier than a whole bunch of free time. So maybe homeschooling at least simplifies things from that angle. :)

Anonymous said...

That sounds great, Sarah. Way to go on the paper products. That's a great idea. Our first week has gone better than the following two. But since I have a schedule on paper, it's easier to get going again after a crazy week. Normal life can all but destroy a day of homeschool. One trip to the DR, a sick child, or a trip to replace a flat tire can really change my week... One outing of Mommy and all her little chicks takes mommy two hours to recover! :) But that's life, and those things don't ever stop. "By the schedule" kind of weeks are actually less frequent than we would like. But it all comes out in the end. :)

You're doing great. Keep up the good work. When normal life "happens," just get back in there next week. :) It's a homeschool, but it's a home first.

Love yoy guys,
Desiree

Brooks Update said...

can dishes even be incorporated into Maths? rather than using blocks and beads etc why not be counting adding and subtracting dishes and cutlery?? Just a thought! I thought I saw a dish washer in a photo - that was a mistake on my part?? Iwas blessed in having a "Jonas" or someone like that!
love motherxoxoxo